Kids are a notoriously disorganized bunch, which leaves parents to play catch up when the school year starts up again. How can you get your kids organized for the new school year? Here are a few simple tips to get you on the right track.
1. Create a schedule. The long days and lax rules of summer have no doubt left your child a bit spoiled when it comes to scheduling. With school just around the corner, it’s time to get back into a more structured routine for sleeping and rising, eating meals, and doing chores, just for example. This way when you add in school days, after-school activities, and homework, they won’t feel so unprepared for the transition.
2. Out with the old. One of the biggest thrills for kids going back to school is showing up with new fall clothing and brand-new school supplies. Before you head to the stores or start shopping online, though, you need to assess what you already have and clear some clutter. Toss or donate clothing that is worn or no longer fits, along with supplies that are beyond use.
3. Create a checklist. While you’re cleaning house, you can start a checklist of items your child will need for the coming school year, from pants and tees, to gym shoes, to pens and paper, to fun and useful office supplies like the Ice Cream Pencil Sharpener that can help to personalize your child’s study space and make learning fun.
4. Don’t forget organization. Once you have your checklist in place, it’s time to purchase pens, pencils, notebooks, backpacks, and more. When you’re shopping, though, don’t forget to add items designed to keep your kids’ school supplies neat and organized throughout the year. A backpack with compartments for everything from laptops to lunch bags is wise, as are binders that not only hold paper, but have pouches for pencils, erasers, and more.
5. Set aside study space. Kids need dedicated space to call their own. If you want them to get the most out of study time, you can’t let them lounge in front of the TV or chitchat and snack in the kitchen. Set up a desk complete with their own supplies in a quiet space where they can quickly complete assignments and still have some time for fun.
Don’t forget to outfit study space with needed items like pencils and paper, as well as fun and kid-centric supplies from a manufacturer like Amazeko that aims to bring surprise and wonder to every child’s life.